Jul 24, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (#7)



Yes, I gave in and bought it on Saturday. I was going to wait until this coming weekend and give it to Scott for his birthday. He has the previous six books. That was when I knew my son actally knew how to read and learned to like it. But he is reading something currently, which he likes and has two more books to read for school in September. He won't be able to read #7 for weeks yets. That's not a real birthday gift if you ask me. I knew he wanted the video game for OOTP (#5), which I had planned on giving him for his birthday, but he had his own money and he went and bought it.

So with all of the frenzie of the book on Friday, I knew poeple would be spoiling it for others eventually. I hate when people tell me the end of a movie or book. I have a couple of coworkers that have/are reading it and I knew I wanted to talk to them about it. I was online Saturday night about 7:45 PM, at Amazon checking out the reviews, and decided I was going to get dressed and go to the bookstore and get my copy. I was home reading the thing by 9:00 PM. I couldn't put it down! I read until 1:30 AM because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had finished reading the entire thing on Sunday night at 3:45 AM. I had a hell of a headache Monday morning at work from either the lack of sleep or the intense reading on my eyes.

SPOILER PART: I am really sad to know that it is the last book, but making seven stories for seven years at school makes sense. The first two books were kids stories, but from book three on, they rose to another level in my mind. I am a person that needs closure and I really wanted every single story line in #7 taken care of. But I am happy with the amount of tied up endings she gave us. Yes, I would have liked to have known what happend in those 19 years, but who is to say that she won't get bored and write about them, or is already doing it and not telling us?

Also, I never expected the details she gave us in Snape's memories. I was one of the people, at the end of #6 that didn't realize Snape might have been good, because I was looking at everything from Harry's perspective. Then when I listened to it for the second time (audiobook), I put a few facts together and realized what might be going on. But I had no idea that JKR was going to give us so much detail and make it so intense. Adding Petunia into it was the icing on the cake. When #7 was moving forward and she wasn't revealing to us that he was good, I was getting worried that I was wrong. When he was dying and Harry was not there for him to confess to I was really worried, but then we I read the rest memories I had to have a tissue in my hand. Yes, I cry at the drop of a hat, but that stuff was powerful. There were other things that made me teary-eyed, but that chapter was the most heartbreaking for me.

The death toll was surprising to me. I kept getting more and more worried. I really didn't expect it. As each person died it felt like I might have been closer to the end, but I knew I wasn't because of the page numbers. I was really relieved that Ron was possesed and suspected it, when he left. Because if not, I would have been so disappointed.

There are so many points I could go on about, but it's so unneccesarry. I loved this book. It was worth the headache. My son has been questioning me on and on and I can't wait until he reads it so we can talk about it as he does!

No comments: